Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Move Ubuntu 10.04 LTS windows buttons to the right side

So I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and the first thing I noticed was that the windows buttons were on the left side which I didn't like sooo I had to Google for a solution and found this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13535/move-window-buttons-back-to-the-right-in-ubuntu-10.04/ but before you do what it says keep on reading.

The problem with this is that Ubuntu developers have already plans for that empty space at the right of the windows, so what would happen if I do what the link says and then after an update the developers add a new feature? I have no idea, there could be a problem maybe some sort of confilict with the buttons so I kept reading the comments and found near the end one from a guy named Faraz confirming what I suspected so he gives a link to this site: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469475 which you'll probably find very useful because it has a list of "Known Lucid Lynx issues/bugs with workarounds"

So basically this is what you should do if you want to change the buttons back to the right:

1. System > Preferences > Appearance
2. Select the theme icon "New Wave"
3. Click the button "Customize.."
4. Select tab "Controls" and select "Ambiance"
5. Select tab "Window border" and select "Ambiance"
6. Select tab "Icons" and scroll down and select "Ubuntu-mono-dark"
7. Select "Save Theme" to your choice.

It will create a new theme that you can change whenever you want. I also took the resulting theme and you can download it and install it at ~/.themes here is the link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/394251220/Ambiance_Right_Buttons.tar.gz

If you have any problem with the file just tell me.

No comments: